Monday, January 18, 2010

Getting Into the Swing of Things

Well, Day 1 and 2 are over and I'm happy to say that I have done well. I have had a few hiccups thus far, but nothing too horrendous! I'll get right into the dirty details...

Day 1 (Sunday, Jan. 17, 2010)

Cals eaten: 1677
Cals used (workouts only): 600
Net Cals: 1077
BMR * 1.2 = 1937
Net Cal Deficit: 860

My diet & fitness journal notes for the day: Today's goal met: yes, mood: 6 (out of 8), energy level: 5 (out of 8). "Today was a good first day. Tracking is a bit rough, but I'm sure it'll get easier."

I burned my calories by doing two workouts; one 30 minute 2 mph walk during lunch and a 50 minute evening workout that consisted of a warm-up, 5 grinders* and a cool-down/stretch.

*One grinder = 40 jumping jacks, 1 back yard lap (1/25 of a mile) at highest intensity possible, 40 mountain climbers, another lap, 40 jump ropes, another lap, 4 squat thrusts, and a high-intensity half-lap with the remainder of the lap being recovery.

Day 2 (Monday, Jan. 18, 2010)

Cals eaten: 1745
Cals used (workouts only): 653
Net Cals: 1092
BMR * 1.2 = 1937
Net Cal Deficit: 845

My diet & fitness journal notes for the day: Today's goal met: yes, mood: 6, energy level: 6. "I've felt hungry all day...not a good feeling!"

I burned my calories by doing 3 workouts; one 30 minute lunchtime walk at 2 mph, one low-intensity bellydance dvd for 30 minutes and one high-intensity bellydance dvd for 30 minutes.

I will get into more detail about how I'm hoping to achieve my goals in later posts, but my basic plan is to maintain a certain net calorie deficit per week eating healthy, unprocessed foods. To begin, I calculated my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). You can find a great BMR calculator here. Clicking on the links will reveal a wealth of useful information. I then considered how much weight I wanted to lose. Slow, healthy weight loss is a sure priority, so my goal is to lose 1.5 - 2 lbs. a week. Since a 3500 calorie deficit will equal 1 lb. of weight loss, I am shooting for a calorie deficit of 5250 - 7000 per week. Easy enough? I wish. That is the logical side of weight loss, the emotional side is what gets to me.

Sunday was a pretty great day. I was really proud of myself for getting two workouts in as well as for having a better energy level than I have in the past few weeks. I was very productive around the house, so I know that there are an untold number of calories that were burned during my semi-aggressive cleaning. I felt satisfied with what I was eating and made a conscientious effort to really enjoy my food. I was even able to budget in two glasses of white wine to enjoy with the Mountain Man, or MM (my husband), out by the fire last night.

Monday was, well, acceptable. I woke up feeling dehydrated and headachey, the classic hangover. Apparently, two glasses of wine is above my limit, so I will limit it to one glass per week from now on. I made sure to down an ample amount of water and some tylenol and pressed on with my day. I believe the hungry feeling was a result of my not eating at the correct intervals. I was busy getting the house cleaned and wanted to get just one more thing done before I ate my next snack or meal. I did get all three of my planned workouts in, but I didn't have the energy throughout the workouts that I typically do. Another problem I encountered was that I ate dinner too fast to make it to bible study on time. I will need to plan my Mondays more carefully to avoid that. Finally, I ate every meal today while doing something else, whether that was watching tv, piddling around on the internet or doing honest to goodness work. That will be another food problem that I will be working on.

I am optimistic that tomorrow will be a better day. It will be a test since I'm at work...I tend to eat more poorly there than at home. I am glad that I had two days to "prepare" and, armed with my tools for weight loss, I'm sure I'll have a successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment